Reporting Problems

If you experience any kind of prejudice or discrimination because of your gender, sexual or romantic orientation you may wish to report it to someone. Reporting incidence to your department, university staff, or the police can help to address the issues you have experienced, stop them from happening again, and increase awareness for what is discriminatory or prejudiced behaviour towards an LGBT+ individual. However, it should always be your choice to decide if you want to take action. If you don’t want to take a matter further, you can choose not to. Reporting an incident should always be dealt with in a way that makes you feel comfortable and reduces the risk of further problems.


University Equality and Diversity


Durham University aims to recognise the diversity of its students, and provide everyone with equal opportunities, support and services. There are policies in place which are designed to eliminate discrimination and deal with incidents if they occur. The Equality and Diversity Policy applies to all students as well as staff and visitors, providing protection against discrimination or prejudice on the basis of protected characteristics. Protected characteristics are listed as:



  • Age
  • Disability
  • Ethnicity (including race, colour and nationality)
  • Gender (including gender reassignment)
  • Marriage and civil partnership
  • Pregnancy and, marital status, pregnancy or maternity)
  • Race
  • Religion and/or belief
  • Sex
  • Sexual orientation (including civil partnership status)



If you wish to make a complaint because you feel any member of the university has harassed, discriminated against, or behaved inappropriately towards you because of your identity in relation to these characteristics you should contact a member of staff. This could be college student support, academic staff (such as your academic advisor or the head of your department), or a Student’s Union representative. You can make formal or informal complaints based on how serious you feel the incident was. The university states that you should make complaints as soon as possible. If you want to complain and wait more than 28 days you may need to go to extra lengths, such as providing evidence of the incident.


For full information, see:


If you would like to talk about an incident where you feel a member of staff has behaved towards you inappropriately (including harassment, bullying, discrimination or prejudice) because of your sexual, gender, or romantic orientation you are welcome to discuss these matters privately with me. You may find it useful to discuss the incident with someone else to decide if you want to make a complaint, or get help and support through the process. I am also happy to make anonymous complaints to departments on your behalf, but it may be more difficult to outline the specifics of the incident and address disciplinary actions if necessary without you yourself having contact with university staff.


Hate Crime


Hate crime is crime where an individual is targeted on the basis of their race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or gender identity.


Durham Constabulary states that they are committed to supporting and protecting the most vulnerable people within our communities. It is the policy of Durham Constabulary to record and investigate hate crime, and give high priority to the investigation of these incidents. They have recently joined forces with Stonewall to promote their commitment to sexual orientation and gender identity equality


To report a hate crime or hate incident contact:

  • Durham Police on 101, or, in an emergency 999
  • Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111- calls are free and confidential
  • Online via True Vision website


To speak to someone anonymously and in confidence for advice and support without reporting the incident contact:

  • A Community Cohesion Officer on 101
  • Citizens Advice Bureau at or 03444 111 444
  • Victim Care and Advice Service at or Freephone on 0303 0401 099
  • Equality and Human Rights Commission at or 0808 800 0082
  • Social Care Direct at or 03000 26 79 79